My Inspiration

My Inspiration

Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Going Blond?

Today I met with the oncologist.

He was so funny. But he also had a lot of good information and it helped me prepare for what is coming.

He said there are three types of breast cancer and identified my type of cancer as a protein cancer.

He kept telling me that I am young and healthy. 

He also told me that I might lose a little weight while on this treatment, but that I didn't really need to. 

That alone makes him #1 in my book.

The one thing he did say was that this cancer is so treatable. That in a year, we are going  to on the other side of this. It's going to be okay.

The doctor wrote me a prescription for a wig. 

The nurse was there and said some people like shopping for the wigs because it gives you a chance to be someone else.

She asked Keith if he'd like me as a blond.

I think he's giving it some thought.

I have to say, it's these moments that make me literally laugh out loud that make it possible to keep going. 

I know you're all interested in my treatment. So here's the lowdown. 

My chemotherapy treatment is called TCH. It is commonly used to treat breast cancer.

It is made of three drugs:

- Docetaxel or Taxotere
- Carboplatin or Paraplatin
- Trastuzumab or Herceptin

Doxcetaxel and carboplatin prevent cancer cells from dividing and growing and can eventually cause the cancer cells to shrink and die. Trastuzumab is a monoclonal antibody, which targets cancer cells more precisely than chemo drugs. 

Because they want to make sure I don't have an adverse reaction to the drugs, the first treatment will be slower and longer than other treatments.

The treatments will be given by injection. 

In addition I will be given dexamthasone, an oral medication, that helps prevent some of the side effect of the treatment.

Tomorrow I go to chemo class - where they help you learn what the expect.

Friday I get my mediport inserted. A mediport is an internally installed needle accessed device that is typically used for patients that need long term IV access. This is where they will inject the chemo.

Monday, October 22 I will have en ECG to check my heart.

Thursday, October 24 is my first day of chemo. 

Then I start recovery to do it all again in 3 weeks. 

The doctor thought I would need 6 to 8 rounds of chemo, every three weeks follwed by surgery.

So, I guess this is really happening. 

I am getting your messages and it really does help, I just don't feel up to responding to each one - I hope you know that I really do feel loved.

Thank you too for your prayers. I feel them too! 




8 comments:

  1. Ugh. That does not sound like fun. The wig, the chemo, the recovery in between, the surgery. Totally worth it, but I'm sure it's daunting to stare it in the face. Sending you big hugs and still praying.

    P.S. Love the blog makeover, your family is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. (Sorry, I has some major grammar/spelling errors in that one.) Tamee, your attitude is so amazing and inspirational!! We are praying for you in every prayer and thinking about you always. You can do this!!! Love you!! <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, you really need to visit with Josh. He had carboplatin and a port so he can give you advice. He also did the cycle chemo routine too. I think you will do great. I don't know if it will help but just keep thinking of him, he is doing great now and you will too. Love you bunches and still praying ( we will never stop- it kept us going and I know it will help you too!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tamee, I think you're so brave for sharing this very personal part of your life. Your honesty through this obstacle will strengthen others along the way. And, I love that one doctor has given you an end point to set your sights on! Thank you for your example. Kelly S.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is one, of the many, many times in my life, that I wish I was independently wealthy. I would fly myself out there and stay with you for as long as you needed me...or maybe even longer. Sweet sister, you are ever present in my thoughts and the little prayers that I say throughout the day as I'm driving in the car or washing the dishes or going to work. I hope you can picture all of us with our arms around you and the arms of the Savior around you as you pass through this biggest of all trials in your life knowing that He has felt every pain and every sorrow that we can have in this life and He wants health and happiness for you. I love you! Paula

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tamee you are wonderful. I love your humor. You wonder where Garrett gets his? Thank you for sharing all this with us this way. I wish we were closer so I can pick up your kids and give them dinner or an overnight party. Or to come paint your toes when you get sick, or even help you style your wig. I say get blonde, red and jet black. One for every mood.
    And you can bet we will all be jealous of your fabulous new rack when all is said and done. After all you have been through and about to go through you deserve boobs that will defy gravity and look like they're twenty for the rest of your life! :) Love you bunches!

    ReplyDelete