My Inspiration

My Inspiration

Friday, November 15, 2013

Awkward

Chemo went okay. It took about 8 hours.

The whole thing was a little surreal.

As we sat there, we had nurses coming to administer each medication, one at a time.

They would check the bag, check my name, check my date of birth, sign the bag and put it in.

There was lots and lots of saline.

And an odd assortment of other medications.

When it came time for the chemo, the nurse brought a big bag of green fluid.

And she brought two friends.

They had me look at the bag, checked my name, checked my date of birth, they signed and I signed.

And then they started the drip.

All three women surrounded me and stood there.

Awkward.

They were worried about the side effects of the medication and they wanted to be ready should anything happened.

As I was sitting there, they kept asking me all these questions.

Do you have a headache?

Do you have a tickle in your throat?

Do you feel like you need to throw up?

It was not comforting. What if I had to say yes?

After about 10 minutes they didn't see any kind of reaction, so they left me to finish.

After the actual chemo medication was administered, they came and changed out the needle before giving me the next medication.

It seemed strange, so I asked them why? They said that the chemo medicine was poison and corroded the metal of the needle as they gave it to me. They changed the needle after it was finished because they didn't want to risk it breaking off and entering my body.

What the heck?

And it occurred to me that I had made this conscious choice to put poison in my body. Actual poison. That has the possibility of doing some serious damage to my body.

All so I could kill something that the doctors say might eventually kill me. Let's be honest, I'm just taking their word for it. It doesn't hurt. It isn't causing me pain. I have no symptoms. It's a dark spot on medical test.

I guess I am realizing so much of this is about having faith. Why is that so hard?

3 comments:

  1. Hi Tamee! Imagine my surprise when though a series of sleuthful internet searches I came upon your blog. I'm in awe of you and your beautiful family...and I can't believe you went and had three more kids without even telling me! Thank you for blogging your journey. Your clever writing makes me almost forget the reason behind this blog. You are still every bit as gorgeous, smart and funny as you were 10 years ago. Amy

    ReplyDelete
  2. They used to cover Josh's bag of chemo with a brown cover. And I hated how the nurses were wearing special protective gear when they handled it, like it could burn them. But it was the only choice we had. The next infusion will be quicker and you will know what to expect but they never get easier. Just keep reminding yourself it is not forever. We used to treat Josh to a prize every two weeks of treatment so he had something to look forward to, remember to treat yourself. We love you and are praying for you and everyone there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the family pictures and your attitude. I am amazed by your patience and care. Please know you are in our prayers, and we send our love.

    JJ, Zac, Alexander, and George Lorenzen

    ReplyDelete