My Inspiration

My Inspiration

Sunday, April 27, 2014

Postponed....twice

I was in the hospital until Saturday when they released me even though I wasn't really feeling that great.  But I really wanted to go home to get Easter together for the kids, enjoy a little bit of their spring break, and organize a few thing in my house.
  
I know, it sounds stupid. 

It probable was, but it hard to be away so much when I was thinking about having a mastectomy that next week. 

In the past four months, I've been in this hospital 29 days, that's a month.  I love these people here at the hospital but I was all done being there.

Easter was great!  But I WAY over did working on the house and hiding Easter eggs, so on the evening of Easter Sunday I started to get sick again.  My sweet husband had to listen to me all night, up and down from the bathroom, moaning and groaning my pains. 

He repeatedly asked me, “Do you need to go to the hospital?”

Naively I would respond, “No, it’s going to pass.”
   
Finally at 4:00 am, (less than 48 hours after leaving the hospital) I let him take me back to the hospital.

He must have been ready because within 5 minutes, he had the kids in the car, my bag packed and we were on our way to the hospital.  He dropped me off in the ER then took the kids home and back to bed until he could get them off to school.   He's a good man!

Same drill at the hospital, drug me up to relieve pain and stop the vomiting, then put an NG tube down my nose.  Check my blood to let me know I have low potassium and a low white count.

This time to increase the fun, they filled my stomach and intestines up with barium contrast through the NG tube. Then x rayed me every hours to watch the contract dye go through my body.  For the first 6 hours it stayed in my stomach and didn't go far, then after I got up and walked around a bit, it went the rest of the way through.  This test showed them that I don’t have another blockage but I do still have an illus.    

This is Monday now and I was also doing my preops for my mastectomy the next day. 

Tuesday morning they rolled me down and started to prepare me for surgery.  Unfortunately, they had to cancel my surgery, because my white blood cell count was way too low.  My was 1.6 and the normal is 4 something.  Tears!

They rescheduled for the following Tuesday and readmitted me into the oncology wing of the hospital.

Let's just say Monday through Thursday was not pretty.  But I'll write about that later.

On Thursday, Dr. Moore, my oncologist contacted the makers of Herceptin to discuss my situation.  They explained to him that there is a 2% chance of women who are on long term Herceptin to develop “illus and struggle with low white blood cell counts”.  That’s my luck!  

Therefore, they can not operate on me for another three to four weeks!  Surgery postponed again.

More tears… a lot more tears! 

I understand though the need to postpone.  Your white blood cells are what make you heal particularly your skin.  And anastasiya shows down the bowels and that the last thing I need right now. 

So for now,  no exact date on my surgery but it will probable be the end of May.  And no more herceptin for me until after the surgery then they’ll try smaller doses.

They let me come home from the hospital on Friday, but I've been pretty much in bed the whole time.

Thanks HEAVENS for my mom.  She's an angel!   She here taking care of the kids, the house, and me.  

Thanks you for all for your card, texts, messages, phone calls, thoughts, and prayers.  It's not easy but well make through.  

4 comments:

  1. Tamee, you are my hero. And I am so serious. That's not just lip service. Thank you for sharing your highs and lows through this whole ordeal. I am so sorry you had to go through this. It SUCKS, but you are a trooper and such an example to all of us. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are such an amazing woman and mother. I miss seeing you through the drive thru window for your large half diet half regular coke! Love you and am praying for you!

    Gail Maxwell

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh dang it! My comment just got deleted so here we go again! :) I am so sorry! Not to compare, but when my mom had her brain aneurism she had emergency brain surgery. She miraculously survived. A few months later she needed a second brain surgery. Ugh!! Nobody wants to have brain surgery once, let alone twice. Surgery date was set and a week before her surgery, my mom got a severe sinus infection. Surgery cancelled. New date was set and a few days before my mom was hospitalized now with menenjitus. Crazy! Surgery cancelled again. She finally had a new date set months later and we were all so anxious and worried and just wanted it behind her because of all the risks involved. I will tell you that we all know now that there were reasons her surgery needed to take place at a later time. It ended up being a blessing. Heavenly Father was truly in charge and was watching over her, even when it seemed like he wasn't because things were not going as we had hoped. I know Heavenly Father will watch over your family too and it will all happen exactly when it is supposed to happen. But I know the waiting is not fun either. Hang in there. Sending love your way! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are such a strong and amazing person! I am so sorry you are going through all of this. I am amazed at your strength! You are in my prayers! Sarah White

    ReplyDelete