My Inspiration

My Inspiration

Monday, March 10, 2014

Out with a bang!

Had to go out with a bang!

I was nausea the week after chemo but the medicines helped to keep that under control or should I say I wasn't throwing up.  The medicine also made me sleep a lot but that was okay too.

My poor cousin, Sherida didn't have it so easy.  The kids were stuck inside all weekend with cold weather, then Monday, we got hit with a March snowstorm, so not only were the kids inside during the weekend, but for another two snow days.  And make matters more difficult, we are in the middle of finishing our basement, so Sherida couldn't even send them downstairs to get away from them.  Bless her heart! We were sad to see her go home on Thursday.

I don't know if I did too much or just dumb luck, but that night after Sherida left, I started throwing up and couldn't stop.  Friday I went into the cancer center to get hydration, and a little stronger medication for the nausea, but the doctor decided that I also needed to make a little trip to the hospital for an X-ray and observation.

I'm not going to lie, I cried!  The idea of going back to the hospital, tubes up my nose, liquid diet, IVs, and Keith and the kids arranging care for the weekend, just took me to the edge.  

As with everything on this journey, I have to learn to let go.

So I spent the weekend in the hospital letting my ilious heal, which is a fancy term for my intestines.  The good news is that I didn't have to have a tube put down my nose because I hadn't eaten in 24 hours and I healed quickly.

Sunday they released me to come home.  I'm still a little nausea, and my stomach/intestines are far from working properly but I'll survive.  The doctor said it takes three weeks to get the majority of the chemo out of your system so I'm half way there.    

My mastectomy is scheduled for April 22nd.  It's a great time for us because it gives me 7 weeks after chemo to recover, it's the day after my kids go back to school after spring break, and 7 weeks for me to recover after the surgery before the kids are out of school for summer.

2 comments:

  1. I'd be happy to take your kids some during their spring break if they're available
    Bethany

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keep your chin up, it will warm up eventually and everything will come out fine! ( yes, that was a poop joke) love u tons. Ruth and the gang

    ReplyDelete